EDITING PHOTOS IS DAMAGING SOCIETY?

Wednesday 11 September 2019


[This post features a gifted dress from Esprlia]

Editing photos can be damaging. Not only for others, but for ourselves too. Dark circles, wrinkles, crow's feet, cellulite, stretch marks, blemishes, blackheads – the list goes on and on – but all of the above is frowned upon in today's society. Why? I have no idea.

It's not widely socially acceptable to post photos that display your cellulite or spots.. but isn't that silly? Everyday we leave the house with these things on show, yet when they're in a photo we feel the need to erase our natural states and replace how we look in real life for something that resembles an airbrushed magazine model.

Apps exist that can alter the way we look – sometimes beyond recognition. Apps that nip, tuck, erase and remove imperfections, but isn't this wrong, isn't this fraud, and isn't this damaging for so many?

On apps you're able to brighten your eyes, slim your waist and smooth your skin. It's scary just how different an app can make you look. 

There's an app that exists that can make you look older and younger, you've probably heard about it or even tried it yourself, but I doubt you'd ever post photographs from the app seriously. But some people do, and some people are making out that they look like that in real life – all airbrushed, clear skin, no imperfections, plump lips and bright eyes. 

It is honestly so scary that an app can make you look SO different. 


If it wasn't bad enough that magazines edited photos.. Instagram is now a haven for edited and manipulated photographs. There's simply no getting away from it, which makes me question the mental health of every Instagram user.

Not only is it bad for the audience, but it's bad for the editor too. The audience automatically *believe* that most people look flawless naturally, even though they may be educated with image manipulation. The person editing their images will think that they are unworthy of posting an image that hasn't been altered, when they look in the mirror they won't see what they see on their phone and then all of this will cause the editor to feel worthless and ugly.

I think there should be rules on photo editing, especially on Instagram, on online shopping sites and in magazines too. These three outlets are incredibly influential, which could in turn mean young people are growing up with warped mindsets.

I can remember when I first started out blogging. I'd use a spot remover on my photo editor and blur out a few spots, darkness beneath my eyes and my 'double chin'. How silly was I? I was sixteen, conscious of my appearance, clueless when it came to the world of body positivity and pretty stupid.

But from the age of eighteen all of my photos have been unedited. Obviously I'll increase/decrease brightness/contrast and on Instagram I use a Lightroom preset, but I am anti-edit... my cellulite will be on show, my spots will be visible, my 'double chin' un-edited, my dark circles un-edited and my skin texture completely natural. My aim is to change the perspectives of young people growing up in this modern world.. I want them to feel comfortable in their own skin and love themselves unconditionally. I want young people to grow up and not feel the need to edit out their hormonal spots and uneven skin texture. And most of all, as I age, I don't want myself and other women my age feeling the need to remove wrinkles and age spots.


Steal Mollie's Style

I'm wearing a gorgeous Green V-Neck Polka Dot Belted Dress that I was gifted from Esprlia in the size 2XL which is a true UK size 16/18.


What are your thoughts on photo editing? Let me know in the comments below!





4 comments

  1. This is such an interesting take on it.

    Candice || natalyaamour.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your post actually, you definitely made some valid points :) xx

    www.fashionjazz.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree. I use a Lightroom preset to play with the light, but that`s it. I still want to look like me in my photos.

    Carmen Chats

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post! Let me know what you thought of it below?