BEING AN OLD-FASHIONED GIRL IN A DIGITAL WORLD

Thursday 7 March 2019


[This post contains a gifted dress from Shein]

Although technology is pretty much my life, this doesn't mean that the modern world is my ideal. I'm grateful for the opportunities that the digital age has brought me, but in all honesty, I wish that things were a little more old-fashioned. I don't mean that I wish women's rights were nonexistent again, or that women were mainly seen and not heard, but I'm an old-fashioned girl living in a modern world...

I don't know about you, but as much as I love technology, I kind of hate it too? And as much as I love the modern-day-world where equality is at the forefront, and I am totally happy about that – the modern world can be a bit 'meh' can't it? 

It's difficult being an old-fashioned and highly sentimental girl, in a very modern world...


Dating

Dating when you're an old-fashioned girl in a modern world is difficult to say the least. I suppose being a tad unsociable doesn't help either. But on a serious note, it's all dating apps and right swipes – what happened to meeting in a coffee shop, courting for a few months, and magical foot-popping first kisses? This is all I have ever wanted, and I still live in hope that one day it'll happen for me. I've been on dating apps but they're just not my thing whatsoever. There's no doubt that they work for some people, and I've got so many friends who met the loves of their lives on Tinder, but personally, I've never had any luck with dating apps, and I would rather meet somebody naturally.

Private life

It's so difficult to maintain a private life in 2019, but I suppose I have become a master at it. I'm a very private person, although my social media profiles say otherwise. Many people would think that they know a lot about my life just through looking at my social media, but I don't post much about my private life at all, and I try as hard as I can to remain mysterious (well, kind of). There have been times in my life where I have over-shared certain things on social media, and then regretted it later (my thoughts about situations etc...) but I have since learned how to restrain myself. This time last year, my first single was released, and I was planning on releasing a few more, but since I have reassessed things, I think it's best I don't release anything for a while. Why? Well, my songs mainly comprise of personal aspects of my life, my deepest thoughts, and feelings – and due to me being in a really good place (emotionally/mentally) and not wanting to over-share details about my life, I feel it's best I avoid releasing these songs to the public at the moment. 

Technology 

Although this is probably rich coming from a 'blogger' – I cannot stand social media sometimes. As much as I love posting photos on Instagram, writing blog posts, and interacting with people, social media is a kind of catch-22 for me. When you're an old-fashioned girl who appreciates privacy, old-fashioned romances, and no drama, social media can be an awful thing. People not liking photos, people getting offended if you don't like a photo (usually because it hasn't come up due to the current Instagram algorithm), people misunderstanding something, people mis-wording something, and people segregating others through social media... social media can be a depressing place sometimes. 

I try to avoid conflict as much as possible. I've stopped tweeting about my private life, I've stopped posting on Instagram stories (as much), and I've stopped oversharing. I want my private life to remain private, but I still want to remain 'real' on social media... see what I mean... it's a catch-22.



Letter-writing vs texting

I'm not keen on texting. Things can get misconstrued. I would prefer to write letters to a close friend or even give them a call. But letter-writing, and more recently calling your loved ones has been phased out. Both letter-writing and calling have been replaced with a quick snap on Snapchat or a quick WhatsApp message. Sad isn't it? Especially when you're a sentimental girl like me. Keeping tangible memories and things is far more up my street than a screenshot of a cute paragraph your friend sent you on your birthday.. I'd much rather a hand-written note, card, or letter. I value tangibility.. I value the letters I store in a shoebox under my chest of drawers, I value the train tickets I stick into my scrapbook, and I value the photos taken on film cameras where you haven't been able to delete the bad photos and keep the good ones.


Outfit details

Shein kindly gifted me the dress I'm wearing in this post. Beautiful isn't it!? It's from their Plus-Size section, and I'm wearing a 2XL and it fits beautifully! I could have even gone for the size down and it would have still fitted like a dream. The dress is the Plus Polka Dot Surplice Dress in a bright and beautiful red, and it's only £22.99! Shein have given my followers 15% off throughout their plus range, use code quirk15 (not affiliated).


I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and I would love to know – are you old-fashioned and sentimental? Does any of the above resonate with you? I'd love to know, so let me know in the comments section below.










20 comments

  1. Such a great read . There are definitely good things about the older time !!


    Lesley Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much, Lesley! That means such a lot to me! xx

      Delete
  2. Hi dear,
    You have created a beautiful site and I also read some of your nice posts. These are very interesting and useful for all. You have also selected very nice content. I think people would be benefited to read your contents.

    I have a great collection of many website and blog links where you can place a comment with your blog link to get more traffic. If you want to Get More Free Organic Traffic you are welcome to visit my blog.

    Wish your good luck.
    Thanks
    Click here to get more free organic traffic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, and you look stunning! Your dress is gorge! Honestly I always hated dating apps too, but I stuck with it and met my boyfriend online. It's strange, as without it we wouldn't have met xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thank you so much gorgeous!! So happy you met your boyfriend online, that is so amazing! xxx

      Delete
  4. Love your dress and these photos are so gorgeous!

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is fabulous on you! I am exactly the same when it comes to social media - I am all over it in my "blogging persona", but the real me is much more private. In fact, if I didn't blog, I probably wouldn't bother having social media accounts at all! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Kate! I think it's the best way to be, isn't it! xx

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty dress, I love how girly and feminine it is! xx

    www.GemmaEtc.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such a super cool location.
    I always wanted to take picture in such a retro wash-salon.
    Love it and your dress isso cute. You look perfect my dear.

    take a look at my BLOG and my INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, thanks so much Amely! Means so much xx

      Delete
  8. I adore you in the red dress with the dots!
    xx Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post! Let me know what you thought of it below?